Use the English Language Every Day
Set aside time each day to communicate only in English. Listen, read, speak and write in English every chance you get.
Send emails, make notes for yourself and write down daily reminders, using new words and common expressions. This helps with sentence structure and vocabulary.
Listen to music, online broadcasts, radio, television and movies in English. The more you listen, the more you will understand vocabulary and expressions. Music helps you acquire the rhythm and stress patterns of spoken English. Listen closely to the words.
Reading is the best way to improve your vocabulary. English-language reading materials — newspapers, magazines, books and websites — are always available.
Concentrate on speaking loudly and clearly with good pronunciation and intonation. Try to speak in thought groups to have good flow to your speaking. Pause after prepositional phrases and related thought groups. Add emotion and feeling to what you are saying. Practice the same speech in your own language and then try to match the same gestures and feelings when you use English.
Keep a Journal
Write down things you are doing to prepare for college and other events in your daily life. This is a great way to organize your thoughts and practice writing in English. You can track your own progress. Read it to yourself and read it out loud.
Practice on a QWERTY Keyboard
A standard English language (QWERTY) computer keyboard is used for the test. Practice typing on a QWERTY keyboard to become familiar with the keys and layout.
Tips for Success on Test Day
- Dress comfortably for any room temperature.
- Eat a good breakfast.
- Arrive at the test center at least 30 minutes early.
- Follow directions carefully to avoid wasting time.
- Do not panic. Concentrate on the task in front of you. Do not think about questions you have already answered.
- Do not spend too much time on one question.
- Do not leave questions blank. If you are not sure of the answer, make the best possible choice.
- Pace yourself to answer every question and avoid rushing at the end.