How to ask and give directions in English?
A. Asking for Direction
- Excuse me, could you tell me how to get to the …………..?
- How should I get the ………. from here?
- I am sorry. I don’t know where the ………….. is.
- Could you show me where the ………… is?
- Is this the right way to the …………?
Untuk bertanya arah/lokasi, kita harus menguasi beberapa kosakata yang berhubungan dengan public place seperti central library, bus station, airport, bus stop, police station, tourist centre, train station, school, post office, bridge, etc. Contoh:
- Excuse me, could you show me where the post office is?
- Is this the right way to the police station?
- How should I get the central library from here?
B. Giving Direction
- go straight (jalan lurus)
- turn right/left (belok kanan/kiri)
- cross (menyebrang)
- stop (berhenti)
- turn around (berbalik arah/berputar)
- pass through (lewati)
- beside (disamping)
- before / after (sebelum/setelah)
- next to (disebelah)
- by (sebelum)
- in front of (di depan)
- across (di seberang)
- at the corner (di sudut)
- behind (di belakang)
- first floor/level (lantai satu)
- intersections (perempatan)
- T-junction (simpang tiga)
- roundabout (bundaran)
Berikut contoh giving direction:
- Take this road and pass through the intersections. just go straight for about 500 meters and turn left. The police station is on the left.
- Just go straight and turn right on the T-junction. The bus station is on the corner.
- Just take this way. It is just about 5 minutes walk. The central library is across the post office.
- Just follow the main road. The police station is next to the football field.
Gimana guys? Mudah kan? Selamat mencoba ya.